Monday, July 23, 2007

The camping trip from...

I don't need to say more, you'll know exactly where as soon as you read how our Friday night went.
First: the road to the lake is awful! Just really knocked the trailer around. But we got to our spot got all setup, everything unloaded and had dinner and a fire going. It was drizzly, but a nice spot and we were looking forward to the weekend there.

That's when someone showed up saying it was their spot. I pull out my confirmation, and sure enough it's for the wrong weekend (how I managed with all the double checking, I will never know). So we give the kids their hotdogs while we pack everything up. So back down the horrible road, and to our regular campground. During the drive I had a panicked thought, did I latch the fridge door? Decided I must have, as I always make sure it's latched. We found a great secluded spot where the trailer door actually faced the table and fire (not too many are setup that way.) I went in to get the inside unloaded only to discover that I didn't get the fridge door latched tight. So there was salsa and mushrooms all over the trailer!

Dana was not happy with me, understandably. I started cleaning up the mess. Then went to get the kids bed made, cause they were tired. I picked up our bed to get the blankets out, and then put it back. But when it closed, it closed off kilter. So I lifted it again. Looked at the lifters and all looked ok. Closed it again, and it was even worse. So I lifted the mattress up to look and all the hinges had pulled out! I wanted to die right then and there. I dreaded telling Dana with all else that I'd just done, but was glad when he looked and it wasn't my fault, just something that was waiting to happen. Luckily he always has his drill and a tool kit. So he fixed the hinges. Kaia went to bed, and Mo came outside while we had dinner.

We went to bed and sometime in the middle of the night Sampson was yapping, so Dana went out to find him all tangled up. We were definitely thinking nothing else could possibly go wrong, but when he unhooked him Sampson started to take off and Dana fell scraping up his leg. At this point it can't get any worse, can it? Oh it does. When he came back in he walked back to the back of the trailer to turn the heater up. That's when he realized his slipper was coated in poo. So we cleaned up the rug, threw the slippers outside and realized that the heater had turned on and almost right back off and it was still cold. At this point it's ridiculous. It's the middle of the night and Dana goes outside to see if he could find a problem. He couldn't, and the heater never did blow heat, so we had to pile into bed with Kaia and cuddle to stay warm. (Mo was nice and cozy with his blankets in the kids' bed)

The heater didn't work all weekend, but Saturday night was much warmer, and we didn't need it. We did have a good time playing at the river, and I ran into a gal I went to highschool with and got to see her 6 week old baby boy. Sunday we got into town just in time for Dana's oldest brother's surprise 50th birthday party. Today the trailer will go into the shop, and I canceled our reservation for next weekend, that we won't be using. I guess you have to have a bad trip to appreciate all the good ones!

No comments: