Monday, May 5, 2008

The Recipes


I forgot to link to the Summer Salad recipe, but since the SparkRecipe link doesn't always work, I'm going to repost. I found a recipe for what I call Summer Salad in a mediterranean cookbook. I took it and changed it like I always do. Then called it Summer Salad because in the summer, when there are lots of ripe tomatoes it is an easy side dish.

Summer Salad
2 medium or 3 small avocados
2 medium or 1 large ripe tomato
1/2 to 1 jalapeno
1/2 to 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: cilantro, mozzarella, olive oil

Pit the avocados and chop into bite size pieces. Chop tomatoes into bite size pieces. Finely chop the jalapeno. Start small with the jalapeno, and add more as needed waiting at least 15 minutes in between. Add juice of half the lime (add more as needed for taste), salt and pepper. Stir and let sit. I typically do not chill as I like it to taste fresh from the garden, not fresh from the fridge.

Also I want to share my recipe for Mango Salsa. I originally found it at Martha Stewart's website, and tweaked it just a bit. I think it's probably pretty close to the original, which was awesome!

Mango Salsa
2 ripe mangoes
3-4 tablespoons of onion (Red is best for both color and flavor. Yellow and white will work)
1/2-1 jalapeno
1/2 lime
dash of sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Chop the mango into cubes, finely chop the onion and jalapeno. Start small with the jalapeno and add more to taste. Mix mangoes, onion and jalapeno in a bowl. Squeeze lime over the mix. Add a dash of sugar and the salt and pepper. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving. (Martha Stewart dot com has tips for cutting mangoes, if you need them)
One last recipe: Eggless oatmeal cookies! I didn't have all the ingredients, so I skipped the topping and the vanilla. I added a bit of cinnamon and a tablespoon of maple syrup to the batter to make up for the lack of topping. I was shocked at how good these were, and how they are all gone! I needed eggless because I used all of the eggs making deviled eggs for dinner with my parents on Saturday night.
I wanted to use supercook.com but couldn't remember the name of the site. It is awesome! Thanks to whoever told me about the website. It lets you choose what you have and what you don't and finds recipes. Perfect for using up what you have on hand.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Your recipes look yummy!

Kelli said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe, TJ! I will definitely be making it, I love the name too!
~Kelli