Friday, January 25, 2008

Show and Tell Sushi Plates


It's Show and Tell at Kelli's and this week I would like to show you my sushi plates. These plates were given to my by my Mother-in-Law (aka Grammy). The reason she gave them to me was to put in my yardsale! Once I saw them though, I told her I would love to have them.


They bought these plates while my Father-in-Law was stationed in Japan. One is slightly smaller than the other, so they look very nice stacked, although I rarely display them that way. I use one on my counter quite often to display fresh fruit and veggies that shouldn't be refrigerated.



I also drag these out at every party we have to put food on. Whether it's the sliced onions, tomato, and lettuce for burgers, or olives, pickles and pepporcinis, the food looks great on these plates. June even told me at one of the get togethers that I've used them more in the short time I've had them than she ever did. The fact is I love them! So Thank You for the plates June!


The one thing I have yet to put on the plates is sushi. Maybe I can find some nice vegetarian sushi recipes. I know that there are recipes that use crab or cooked tuna too. That's about all that would be eaten here. For now I'll just keep using them to display anything and everything. The barbeque jalapenos even look good on this plate! Yum!

Barbeque Jalapenos: fresh jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon. Cut jalapenos in half, the long way leaving the stem intact on one half. Scoop out seeds and fill with cream cheese. Put the halves back together and wrap with a piece of raw bacon. Use a toothpick to secure. Toss on the barbeque or under the broiler until bacon is cooked. We also wrap them individually in foil and put on the grate over a campfire. These can be super fiery or fairly mild. It will all depend on the jalapenos you use. A sniff test will help you decide when purchasing. If they smell hot, they probably will taste hot. We prefer mild to medium jalapenos for this recipe.

10 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Very nice. And, hand me the salt shaker...I'm gonna grab one of those roma tomatoes and run like the devil!!!

My Show N Tell is shared. Hope you can drop by and leave a comment. I love visitors you know. :o)

Susan said...

Very nice.
Susan

Julieann said...

I just love sushi--and I would love it even more eating it off those plates...LOL. Have you ever had California rolls--they have cucumber and avocado in them--yummy.

Julieann

nancy said...

One woman's trash is another woman's treasure! The jalapenos sound delish.
Nancy

ellen b. said...

the plates are great and the recipe looks wonderful. I'd use them just the way you are...

Anonymous said...

Your plates are beautiful. If you've never tried to make your own california rolls, there is a great recipe in the Barefoot Contessa. It's really so much easier than I thought it would be, and a lot of fun.
-Cookie

j said...

The plates are beautiful. Would you have wanted to keep them if they weren't, just for the sentimental value that you spoke of? I find that anything that has a story, no matter what it looks like, stays at my house. Enjoyed your show and tell - Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Nice plates you have thanks for showing. Take care and God bless. Happy weekend.

Kelli said...

I can see why you would want to keep the plates, they are beautiful! The jalapenos sound yummy. :0)
Hugs,
Kelli

Cheryl said...

Very nice looking plates. They have something similar at Target.. in brown. (pretty sure thats where I say them lol)