Friday, April 20, 2007

The Count Down Begins

Less than 12 hours and my baby will be one year old! It is so hard to imagine that a year has passed, and yet I have a hard time believing there was a time we didn't have Mo.

It really hit me yesterday at the end of our LFCC meeting. It was after our application review meeting last year that I went in to see my midwife Tammy. It was my due date and I was swollen, I was tired, I was done being pregnant. Luckily for me my blood pressure had also skyrocketed. She ran to the phone, called maternity, and got permission to admit me for induction. They saved the last bed. So I went back to work, cleaned up my desk and told everyone I'd see them in about 4 weeks. I went home, finished packing my bag and waited for Dana to arrive. We arrived at the hospital and got checked in.

Once in my room they checked me to find that I still was not effaced and only dialated to a 3. The plan was to break my water so labor would start. That plan didn't work so well, because they simply couldn't do it, because I wasn't effaced. So just like with Kaia I was started on pitocin. Kaia came to visit with Grammy and Papa, but the machines hooked up to me scared her, and she wanted to leave.

I was just on pitocin until close to 5 when they were able to break my water. That's when the fun started. The contractions became strong, and I had the anesthesiologist come up and give me my epidural. After Kaia I knew that if I couldn't go natural, I would not have any drugs only the epi. I was very thankful once it was in. Especially thankful that he allowed my husband and cousin to stay in the room (and maybe my mom and aunt I can't really remember what time they arrived). My cousin helped me focus and relax while he put it in.

Labor was just sit and wait after that. My mom, aunt, cousin and Dana and I sat and chatted. When Survivor came on, we put that on. My midwife came in to visit and see some of the show. I remember her sitting and having a popcicle with me. As the evening wore on I was finally getting close, but Mo was sunnyside up. So she made several attempts to turn him to face the right direction. He moved back each time. About 11 my cousin and mom went outside to wait, and the pushing started. I was awake and alert, unlike with Kaia, so I knew everytime there was a contraction and I needed to push. It was much harder than with Kaia and took longer because he refused to turn. Especially right at the end, when Tammy did everything she could to keep me from having another episiotomy. It was hard knowing he was almost out, and not pushing so she could very slowly work his (big) head out. At 12:10 a.m. Friday morning, he arrived. He was a little purple from his ordeal. He screamed at us for disturbing his nice warm home which I believe he planned to live in until college. But it was a wonderful sound. He was 8 pounds 8 ounces and 20 inches long, with bowed legs from being cramped.

After I was cleaned up (and no stitches!!!!) Mom and Kristin came back in to hold him. We all agreed he was beautiful, and that he looked like Kaia only a bit darker. I can't imagine how they managed through work that day with so little sleep, but they did. I got almost no sleep, but still felt ok the next day in the hospital, and slept a bit better Friday night. Friday morning Kaia got to meet her new brother when Grammy and Papa came to meet their newest grandson. Kaia got her present from Morgan (a Nemo backpack) and she got to give him the gift from her (a Harley Davidson cap and socks) My dad came in early and took a few photos before heading back to work on the first floor. I got to spend another night and for that I was thankful. Saturday morning we went home, our family was complete.

It was an amazing experience. Both times. While I'll never experience it again, I will always relish the memories.

No comments: