Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The teeth...

We knew the day would come. It always does, but we weren't looking forward to it. Molars. They must come in, and when they do they turn a toddler with a great bedtime routine and a happy attitude into a feverish, red cheeked, cranky monster.

Yesterday, Mo came home from grammy's with bright red cheeks. He was in a fairly good mood, and not hot, just red. I've known for a few days that his molars were starting to move. He wakes up fussy in the middle of the night, and he's been chewing on everything in sight. Last night was the first night that it became a big problem.

At 8:10 I took Mo downstairs to put him in his crib. I sang his songs, we said his prayer (Kaia was helping) and he reached for his crib to go to sleep like always. He didn't lay down for long though, and sat up and began to cry quite quickly. He cried for a good half hour before Dana took pity and went down to get him. I by this time had Kaia in my lap nearly asleep. Usually just being held is good enough for Mo. Nope. He fussed with Dana. Finally with Kaia out and stretched across my lap, I took him. He still fussed. I handed him back to Dana, put Kaia in her bed, and grabbed Mo. I gave him a full dose of Ibuprofen, less than half a dose of benadryl and took him in the TV room to cuddle. He was still fussy, so I filled a sippy cup with ice and water. Sometime between 10:30 and 10:45 he finally fell asleep. So much for packing the trailer once the kids were in bed!

I'll definitely pick up more ibuprofen at the store for our trip and start praying these teeth breakthrough soon. Although thinking back to Kaia's, they took their own sweet time.

No comments: