Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Frivolous Spending or Investment in the Future?

I admit that I've always felt magazines were a frivolous expenditure.  Spending $3-6 to read a bunch of ads seemed like a waste of money, and besides I have several magazines I receive for free through different survey websites.  However, recently I've altered my view.

It was about 3 years ago that I went through the Lou Tice Investment in Excellence course.  What I learned there, is in order to change, we must see what we want as the norm for our life.  Therefore, if you are always running late, you cannot continue to say, "hey, that's me, I'm just a late arriver."  Instead  you must tell yourself, I'm an on time person.  I plan ahead so that I can arrive on time to my committments.  You can't just say it, you also have to visualize it.  The more you do so, the more you will strive subconciously to be that person.

That is why I have begun to purchase Real Simple magazine.  I love the organization tips, and the easy recipes.  I looked at it once and thought, "I wish that was me! I want to be the organized person with a clean house, and great meals."  It finally donned on me, that by reading that magazine, and envisioning myself being that person, I could become that person.  I also receive Shape and Martha Stewart Living (for free) and plan to read those with a whole new outlook.  I'm not an observer of those lifestyles, that is my lifestyle.

I look forward to becoming the person I want to be!  And if I can't find Real Simple for free, the $5 a month investment is well worth it!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

That's an interesting way to look at it! I got fed up with magazines because it seemed that every issue was so full of "Buy this! But that!" But I like your way of thinking of it.

I think I'm going to envision myself in Pleasant View Schoolhouse. Reading that blog has already changed my home for the better. :) Others too, but especially that one.
http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/