Thursday, March 22, 2007

Sleep

Yes here I am obsessing about sleep again. I truly believe all mothers with young children do this. We constantly discuss our child's sleeping habits. A "Good Morning" is often followed by "Did you get any sleep last night?" I don't hear dad's discussing this. A co-worker with a newborn did state that he gets up each time and does the diaper change, but only when asked.

Luckily today I can answer "yes," I did sleep last night. Mo's good sleeping streak broke and he was up every couple of hours each night earlier this week. I'm chalking it up to what looks like a few teeth ready to come through and a cold that I also have now. Why is it that when babies are sick they don't sleep? I haven't been able to get enough due to an infection that was followed by this cold. Last night though, he was back on his sleep all night routine, and I was very happy to sleep peacefully in my own bed.

Peacefully until Kaia joined us is a more accurate description. For such a small person, she can take up a large portion of the bed. I have yet to figure out a way to keep her in bed all night. This is mainly due to the fact that I can sleep right through her climbing over the top of me and under the covers. Dana generally won't wake up until she's shoved her feet in his back, and I wake up once she's successfully pushed me right onto the edge of the bed and the covers are off me.

Of course all of that is fairly livable, it's when the 25 pound heifer aka our cat Boomer decides to join the 3 of us in bed that things really get uncomfortable. Just imagine being on the edge of the bed, no covers, and having a 25 pound, sharp-clawed, wet nosed furball in your face. Nice, really nice.

Boomer in fact was very accurately named. According to my travel guide Boomer is Australian slang for someone/something very large. When we named him he was a scrawny sick kitten from the pound. Back then he could sit on my chest and stick his cold nose in my face and I could easily drop him off the bed and onto the floor. Now all I can do is hid under the covers and hope he finds a new victim before one of the other two in bed farts!

No comments: