Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Recipes

We tried out a new recipe last night that Grandma told me while we were having lunch. I thought it sounded yummy, Dana wasn't thrilled when I told him what I was cooking. Here it is:
  • Cooked and cubed pork chop
  • mashed potatoes
  • sauerkraut
  • cheese

Notice no amounts. Grams told it to me, and I went with it. I rarely measure unless it's breads. Just mix the cooked pork with the potatoes and sauerkraut then put in oven. I added the cheese to the top, because my family loves cheese.

Results: It was mixed. 3 of us thought it was ok, and Dana wasn't impressed. But the recipe isn't dead, he and I discussed it today. We both agree that next time I should not use pork chops but instead use some spicy sausage that would better compliment the sauerkraut. So we'll definitely use the recipe again.

Tonight it's pot roast and veggies. I threw one in the crockpot before leaving so dinner won't be so late tonight. I have found a pretty cool food document that is linked below. It has some great ideas for making the most of your food dollars. Of course quite a bit of the knowledge is in Tightwad Gazette but it's still good reading, and it has some great worksheets.

No comments: