Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


The menu plan continues to go well.  Monday night though we decided that rather than have Swedish Meatballs, Sweet and Sour sounded much better.  I made these for Christmas Eve and they were a hit.  I  like that with green pepper and pineapple in them, they have fruit and veggie included and this meal is very budget friendly!    Since this recipe has taken me some time to perfect, I thought I'd share it with you.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Ground Beef
Bread or Cracker Crumbs
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 can of pineapple chunks
1 green pepper cut into chunks
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch

Yes, that's the entire list!  First mix your ground beef with some bread or cracker crumbs.  I like to save french bread ends or the heels of a loaf and run them through my food processor.  The amount you use is up to you.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Once mixed in add the egg and mix again.  Roll meat into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place in 350 degree oven until cooked (10-20 minutes depending on size).

In a saucepan add a tiny bit of oil and saute the green pepper over medium-high heat for a few minutes.  Then add all the pineapple chunks, and most of the juice.  Set aside a small amount of the juice.  Add your brown sugar and soy sauce.  Mix the cornstarch in with the pineapple juice.  Then pour into your saucepan.  Add the cooked meatballs and stir.  Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until sauce is thick.  Add more cornstarch (mixed with a small amount of cold water) if needed.  Serve over rice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, but I wouldn't put the pineapple

Debby@Just Breathe said...

These sound so good. I've never made meatballs, I am going to try these.