Thursday, February 8, 2007

New diet

Many of you may know that since Mo was born, I've become interested in health (and I admit at times obsessed). I joined SparkPeople in June and started counting calories, working out, and monitoring what kinds of food go into my body. This became even more important as my allergist put me on the anti-candida diet for 4 weeks. I didn't make it the whole 4 weeks, but it did help, and I've learned a lot about what my body needs.

For several nights I've realized that one of my biggest secrets to weightloss is... having kids! Now this may not work for everyone, but it's working for me. Most normal people fill their plate, sit down and enjoy their food. You know that I'm not normal. I fill my small plate with food. Tonight for example was a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, homemade french fries, and green beans that didn't fit on the plate because the sandwich took up so much room. Before I can eat, I serve Kaia her plate, and then put food on Mo's tray.

Here's the weight loss part: I sit down in front of the computer to eat. Take one bite of sandwich. Kaia calls out asking for a drink of pop. I go into the tv room and ask her if she'd like a glass of water or milk.

Milk. So I walk to the fridge pour milk, take it to her and go back to eat. Another bite. Mo begins to fuss. He's eaten his fry and chicken (no tuna for the little guy yet). So I go get him some cheese. I eat another bite of tuna, and manage 2 fries. Mo fusses. I go over to see the cheese is gone. Then I ask if he wants more. He looks at me. I suspect that is what he wants, but I want him to sign it. So I stand in front of the highchair bringing my hands together making the more sign. Mo do you want more (hands together)? More (move hands). Mo, More cheese? Mo doesn't sign, but thinks that my signing is hilarious. Probably the same way a dogs stupid trick will amuse us.

I finally grab a fairly big slice of cheese and begin crumbling it for him. I have quite a bit, so I go to check on Kaia, and give her a piece. I sit back down and have a few more bites and am able to finish before, Kaia needs more cheese. Mo is fussing. Kaia gets cheese, I pick up Mo and the bowl of green beans. I eat the beans one handed while sharing with Mo.

They say to eat slowly so you don't overeat. I'm not sure the gulping down counts as slow, but I do know that I was full after the long drawn out sandwich. So tonight at dinner I: had well portioned healthy food, got a workout between the kids, & managed to get in all the fiber I needed so I could earn a point on my New Mom Challenge at SparkPeople!! (yeah that's the obsessive part)

In case you were wondering, I'm not ignoring Dana in all of this. He is at his shop, working on quads with my cousin. He probably enjoyed his fast food all in one sitting!

No comments: