Friday, July 11, 2008

For the Record...

I love the show Swingtown! Now before you judge, read my post through. So many people have a misconception that this show is all about sex. Wrong! Others say it's all about drug use. Wrong! While it is not for children and deals with adult issues, this show is dealing with a time of upheaval in society. The swinger who you think is so wild, well she is actually pretty insecure. The uptight one, really wants to have fun and be accepted, but doesn't quite know how. The one right in the middle, well she is struggling with her place in this new society she finds herself in.

Did you know that I actually read a biography on Halston for a book report my Sophmore year of high school? Oh yeah. I think out of the entire class I read the raciest book. More so, I was probably one of the last people to do anything naughty. Really. Sure I had my moments in high school, but for the most part I was a good girl. And this good girl read all about Studio 54. I'm not sure how I managed to make it a clean book report, but I think I focused on how Halston was always unsettled, unhappy, always searching for more.

I loved all of my sociology classes in college, so much so that I took far too many to count for my degree. Do I regret it? Not one bit, even when I continue to pay for my lovely student loans. And you all know how much I love retro, so I can't resist a show with great outfits like this:


So now my secret is out! The show is not for everyone, but I enjoy it. Because whether moral or immoral, it is all a part of America's history.

No comments: