Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fibromyalgia

And this is why my family loves me.  Rather than calling around to tell people I went to the doctor and will start seeing an internist because I have fibromyalgia, that I'm being screened for arthritis and some other stuff, I now have a prescribed exercise regimen, and that I got a depo medrol shot that is already allowing me to move better, I blog.  Normal people call their family and tell them, me,  I write it out for everyone.

The news was really no surprise.  For 16 years I've had spells where my skin felt like it was on fire, my muscles hurt, my bones ached and I had no energy.  I've always learned to live with it, and sometimes it would go away for a really long time.  But, now we have 4 kids at home, and my family needs me.  I have spent the last 2 weeks being completely worthless at home.  The simplest tasks were left undone because I was too fatigued to do them.

It started this time with a nasty allergy attack due to nearby fires.  I had been feeling great with all the working out I was doing, but the allergy attack took me out.  I couldn't do it.  Even once I started taking Claritin, there was just a slight improvement.  This past Saturday the pain started in my left arm.  Every day since, I've lost all energy and the pain returned by afternoon.  I'd make it home, fix dinner, put kids to bed, and promptly pass out on the couch.  Every morning I was still exhausted.  Today though, I could barely move.  I struggled to make coffee.  It hurt to squeeze toothpaste on my toothbrush.  And as much as I didn't want to see a doctor, I knew I needed to.

I'm thankful the shot is already helping move better, and I even hope to start on the new exercise regimen tonight.  I have to do a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, 3 times a week, and add yoga or pilates as well.  This doctor doesn't want me to try any of the medicines on the market for fibromyalgia, and I agree.  The long term immune effect isn't known, and I'm still young.  I will receive the shot as needed, exercise, and continue using antihistamines to control my symptoms.  If the blood work shows anything, we'll deal with those as needed.  For now, I'm looking forward to being a mom and wife again, instead of a cranky lump.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad you sought the help of a doctor. I am also glad the shot seems to already be helping.

j said...

TJ I'm one of the worst about putting off visiting the doctor so I can understand how you put it off for so long. I'm glad you went and got some help. I hope that you continue to improve with medical care.

Love you my friend!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Sending hugs and prayers your way!
<><

Dianna said...

I have autoimmune problems and my system has flared up after the birth of each of my children. I'm so glad you saw the doctor and that you're doing better and able to function. Hang in there and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry. I am glad that the shot is helping. ((HUGS))

nannykim said...

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this! It is so hard to accomplish things when one is feeling that way. I had some weird thing going on from May until August but after a powerful dose of antibiotic I got my energy back. I still am experiencing lots of ear pressure so I don't know what is going on in that department....but when I got my energy back it was such a joy. I hope you will have days of more energy...I think your condition is one that must be hard to deal with.