Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reading

Even though I feel like I'm a fairly experienced mom, finding out we are having twins instantly made me feel like a novice again. Surprisingly I still have a few pregnancy books, only because they didn't sell at the yardsale, but they cover 1 baby, and have just a few pages on twins. I searched the web and found that BabyZone has several articles on twins, which was helpful, but I wanted more.

My cousin's friend recommended a book by Jon and Kate (as in Jon and Kate plus 8). It is supposed to have good information in it, but I have one tiny problem. I don't like Jon and Kate, and I don't have any respect for them. That may not be fair because I don't know them, but what I've seen (and heard from those that watch the show) of their parenting and their marriage, I do not want to know them. So I don't think I'd actually listen to anything I read in their book. But to be fair, I looked at the library website, they have it, so I will check it out just to see.

In the meantime I'm reading another book from the library. Another book by a celebrity, but a celebrity I like. The book is Two at a Time Having Twins by Jane Seymour and Pamela Patrick Novotny. I'm really enjoying her experiences, mixed with facts and recommendations. It was in her book that I finally found some good information on calorie intake with twins. I should be eating 2700-3500 calories a day! Sound impossible? I thought it was. At least it sounds like it is when you aren't stopping at McDonalds or Carls Jr for a 1200 calorie meal. But yesterday, I did it! And for all of you that probably do not care, here is what I ate:

Breakfast:
Cream of Wheat with 1 T of brown sugar
3/4 of a Quaker 90 calorie peanut butter granola bar (Mo had the other 1/4)
1 cup of Coffee

Snack:
Banana
Cranberry Apple Raspberry Juice

Lunch:
1 cup refried beans
2 cups salad with italian dressing

Snack:
dried fruit mix (homemade) with almonds
plain bagel with cream cheese
beef jerky

Dinner:
big bowl of tomato soup
1 and 1/2 grilled cheese sandwiches

Snack:
1 cookie
Cadbury Cream Egg
1 non-alcoholic beer

Phew! That really is a lot of food, but I was hungry for it all. And there was plenty of water with every meal, snack and in between. You may notice too, the only meat I ate was the beef jerky. This pregnancy has found me not caring for meat much. The only meat that has tasted good has been ground beef and the beef jerky. I've tried chicken, sausage, italian sausage, steak, a hotdog and all of it has tasted off to me. Tonight we're going to a birthday dinner at The Golden Wheel (chinese food). I'm hoping some of my favorite dishes there will taste good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the morning sickness is on its way out.