Monday, February 8, 2010

Good Things

I've been trying new things to make our lives run more smoothly.  If I can control just a fraction of the chaos we live in, I will have done a good job as mom and wife. 

Here is an idea I got from my Mother in Law, June.  Snack trays.  It is so simple, but several times when I've gone to pickup the boys, she's had a snack tray out.  The trays have been fresh cut veggies, fruit or meat and cheese. 

Yesterday, I made a big veggie tray planning for leftovers.  Even though it was just Dana, the 3 boys and I here, having the veggies out meant we snacked on something healthy.  Now that it's prepped and in the fridge, we'll have a quick go to snack most of the week.  And when I pack lunches, it's easy for me to grab a few veggies to include.  Also I won't forget that half a bell pepper in the drawer and find it after it's rotten, because we've already enjoyed it.

This same idea works with salad.  Buy some heads of lettuce, wash and tear into pieces.  Then have it stored in a container in the fridge.  I read this tip on a finance blog.  The cost difference between bagged salad and lettuce is huge!  I decided to give it a try, and it has worked so well for us.  I can fix a salad in seconds, and we've enjoyed eating salad this last week.

Finally, one last good thing: Menu Plan Monday.  I will be writing up a menu.  Last week was an unwritten, loose plan.  It meant a lot more money was spent on groceries and the meals weren't as healthy.  Lesson learned!

What good thing have you tried lately?

3 comments:

j said...

Well if nothing else, you know for a FACT that your meal planning is working for you financially.

Have a great week TJ!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a good plan. I have never been one to do menus in advance but I follow allot of people who do. I think it is a great idea. Veggies make a great snack.

Anonymous said...

I love raw vegetables. Once it cleaned and chopped, it's SO much better to grab and munch smart!