Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Best Christmas Movie ever...

Since I'm home sick (thank you kids!) I took the opportunity to watch my most favorite Christmas movie ever while I knitted some scarves. A Christmas Story has been my favorite Christmas movie for as long as I can remember. I was 5 when it was made, so I'm sure I was close to 9 before I saw it, but ever since that time I've loved it. We watched it every Christmas as a family, and I admit to watching it at other times of the year too. Especially now that I have the DVD with all the extras.

A strange thing to discuss, but hey I love A Christmas Story, and I want to talk about it, and hear your comments too. I love how real the family is... I can distinctly remember having my own crazy fantasies that were always bigger than real life, the fixation on one object at Christmas time, parents who love their kids but don't always say or do the right thing. (this last is more something that I've learned from experience as a parent)

The best part of the movie for me has been sharing it with Kaia. She's old enough now that she loves to watch the movie and repeat lines from it. I think we are on the 568th viewing, but I could be wrong. While setting up our own tree she kept telling me "Now our tree is perfect." She insisted on a star topper too. And on the day we decorated she said "We're going to miss out on all the good trees." (we have a fake, prelit tree so I assured her we wouldn't miss out) Triple Dog Dare You comes out of her mouth on many occasions and completely out of context. Unfortunately she did pick up one bad phrase, but only said it once when I made sure she knew that she would get "the soap" too.

Today I took the opportunity to watch A Christmas Story with the director Bob Clark and star Peter Billingsley's comments over the top. It was fun to hear all the little details that went into making the film and some of their favorite parts. They mentioned the leg lamps which are available for those that wish to have one. And I will admit, I want one. I will even confess that I'm jealous of some people who live on 56th avenue. They have a big front window, and in it, is a Christmas tree complete with the tinsel and next to it... a leg lamp. I don't have a front window that would display it, and I don't have a leg lamp, but someday I will.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I've always loved A Christmas Story too. Think we're going to have to watch that one here real soon. LOL
Hope you're feeling better. Tam