Friday, May 22, 2009

Ouch

Kaia can spin a pretty good story when needed, but sometimes she speaks nothing but the truth. Last night she was telling me some of her made up jokes. And this one hurt:
Kaia: Why was the mommy cranky?
Me: I don't know, why?
Kaia: Because she has two babies in her tummy.

Ok, I get it, I've been pretty cranky lately. I try hard not to be, but I haven't succeeded. Last night was exceptionally bad, but I was really trying to keep it to myself. My back hurt, I was tired, and I learned that another November mom, also carrying twins, went in for an ultrasound and learned that one of the babies had died. She and I bonded quite quickly. The first two to know we were having twins. We both have two older children, and are close in age. I felt her loss like I would feel my own. The good news is the other baby is doing well, and the doctor believes she'll have no problems carrying him or her to full term.

I don't want to start your weekend out on a sour note, so it's a good thing Kaia had something much funnier to say this morning. I told her that she had $2.25 in her backpack for lunch.

Kaia: $2.25 is a lot
Me: Yes, that's what it costs for lunch
Kaia: That's expensive
Me: I think so too, but apparently that's what it costs
Kaia: They should be ashamed of themselves!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, TJ. I had a feeling something was up with you, but I am glad it's not you.
Kaia's "joke" was hilarious. Take Care.

Casii said...

Seems perfectly reasonable for you to be cranky. Sorry for your friend's loss.

Kids have a way of telling the truth in a way that only they can, don't they?

Kelli said...

TJ, I am very sorry to hear of your friend's loss. That is so sad. (((hugs)))) Kaia's joke about lunch is too funny! Have a wonderful long weekend with your family.
~Kelli

j said...

I can imagine that your friend's loss hit you in a bad way. Expectant Mommies already feel so vulnerable. I will pray for her and YOU TOO.

Kaia...*grin*... hug that kid for me. She sounds so thrifty and grown up.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

out of the mouths of babes fun stuff :-)

I'm sorry about your friend's baby. that's really sad.