Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cheap and Easy Taco Pasta

The other night I made one of my infamous throw together meals.  I look at what we have laying around and start throwing things into a pot.  They are infamous in that they can be horrible, or turn out to be a stroke of genius.  This one was so good that when I saw all the leftovers still in the pot during a middle of the night feeding I was deeply disappointed.  I hate it when I do that.

Taco Pasta
1 medium round steak (or 1/2 lb of ground beef, or leftover roast beef)
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic smashed
tomato chicken boullion (or beef or vegetable boullion)
1 large can of tomatoes (whole or diced)
Water
1 can of kidney beans (or cooked beans from dry)
1-2 cups of macaroni
1/2 packet of taco seasoning

Take the steak or ground beef and put in your pot with a bit of oil.  This is perfect for those really tough and really cheap cuts of beef.  Cook the meat, onions and garlic together until the onions are soft.  If using ground beef make sure it is nearly browned before adding onions.  Then add your boullion, the can of tomatoes (stick the knife into the can and roughly chop if using whole tomatoes) and water.  I used about 2.5 cups of water.  Cook with lid on until meat is nice and soft.  If you are using leftover roast, just cook the onions and garlic then throw the meat in with everything else and cook for at least half an hour for flavor.

Once meat is soft, remove from pot, slice into small thin pieces and put back in.  Add drained kidney beans, 1 to 2 cups of macaroni (enough to soak up the liquids) and taco seasoning.  Cook until macaroni is tender and liquid is soaked up.  Then Enjoy!

4 comments:

Dianna said...

That looks yummy! I love anything pasta.

I hate it when I leave food out and have to throw it away. Especially when it was good. :)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Oh yeah this has my name all over it!
<><

Anonymous said...

gonna try this one! Thanks!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yum, that sounds really good.