Friday, December 4, 2009

Just in time for cold & flu season, Boiron

This last review is the one I'm most excited about.  I received a package of 3 children's cold & flu products from Boiron.  These products are homeopathic remedies for the viruses.  I love it when I can use natural and homeopathic remedies.  I have only used 2 of the products, as we have thankfully not had the flu in our home yet. 

The first product we used is Chestal Honey.  Mo and Kaia both had nasty coughs.  If you have young children, you are probably aware that traditional over the counter cold and cough remedies aren't recommended for children under 6 years old.  So while I can attempt to trick Kaia into drinking the expectorant by telling her it doesn't taste horrible, Mo cannot have anything but his nebulizer treatments which do not soothe the throat or loosen much of the phlegm.  Children's Chestal though can be used for kids 2 and up.  With the first rounds of coughs I opened the bottle.  It took some convincing to get Kaia and Mo to take that first dose, but once they did, they were the ones reminding me they needed medicine.  Mo declared it "dewicious!" And, it helped.  The coughs weren't so forced, they quieted down and sounded more productive.

The second product was Children's Coldcalm which is for children 3 and up.  This medicine is teeny tiny balls that you dissolve in your mouth.  Mo started to get a nasty cold, about 3 weeks after we first used Chestal (the crud has hit us hard this year).  You kind of kick start the fight by taking 5 of these little balls every 20 minutes for the first hour.  Then follow up every 2 hours that there are symptoms.  Mo again wasn't convinced that the balls weren't icky, but he took them without complaint and went back to playing.  He reported to Grammy later that day that he was feeling better, and he told me that evening that the medicine made him feel better.  Later during the cold when I'd forgotten about giving him medicine (I'm not sure why I would forget things...) his symptoms definitely began to make a reappearance.  Mo reminded me he needed his medicine, and I happily obliged.

Here is the best part about these medicines: They are affordable!  I honestly expected that these would be out of my price range and that I'd never buy them at the store.  So often the natural medicines are $15 +, but while shopping at Fred Meyer (a Northwest Kroger affiliate) I checked out there natural medicine section.  I was delighted to find that the products started at $6.99.  They were comparable to name brand over the counter medicines in price, but are safe for younger children and a natural medicine. 

If you have a child or a houseful of them, I completely recommend these remedies.  If you don't have a child, Boiron makes the same medicines for adults!  I have to investigate the safety of using them during nursing, but I will definitely use their products for myself in the future.  No coupons to giveaway, but if you are a mom with a blog and would like to try these products too, visit children.boironusa.com/freesample

Stay healthy this winter!  All my review business is wrapped up, and I'll be back on Monday with posts from our life.

2 comments:

Casii said...

I'm going to forward your rec to my sis who has a 5 & 3 year old. They spend half the winter with the crud it seems!
And I'm always a fan of effective homeopathic remedies.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this.