Thursday, January 22, 2009

Quick, Healthy and Cheap Breakfasts



I hear people say it all the time, "I don't have time to eat breakfast." Everyone knows how important breakfast is, it gives you a start for the day, and helps reduce calorie intake later. But do you know how quick, and cheap, it can be?

Eggs are the number 1 breakfast in our house. I buy Omega 3 eggs at Fiesta Foods. The price varies from $1.58 to $1.98 per dozen. They actually change the price with each shipment, and these eggs taste so much better than the white store brand variety.

I have an omlette sized non-stick pan that I use to cook most of our breakfasts in. It's quick and easy to wash, and usually stays on the stove.

Easy egg breakfasts:
Chop up some leftover fresh veggies (peppers, onions, broccoli, mushrooms...) and saute in a small non-stick pan for a minute. Turn heat to medium and add 1-2 beaten eggs. Let cook for a minute or two, and once the bottom begins to set, stir. Do this til the eggs are cooked. This is a fast and easy breakfast that allows you to use up leftovers. You could also add chopped baked or boiled potato, sausage or bacon.

Egg sandwiches are also easy to make. Either beat the egg first, or "fry" whole. With a non-stick pan, no oil is necessary. While the egg is cooking, toast 1 or 2 slices of bread, and cut a slice of cheese. As soon as the egg is done, assemble your sandwich.

If you have a little bit more time, Huevos Rancheros is easy to make in any quantity.

Oatmeal:
We eat oatmeal a few times a week. We don't eat boring bland oatmeal, I spice it up to make it fun.

Following the directions on the package, mix your oats and water. Then before cooking add cinnamon, chopped dried fruit (apricots, raisins, blueberries, cherries) or fresh chopped apple. Cook according to directions. After cooking add a little bit of brown sugar to taste and milk (condensed or fresh), if you choose to use powdered milk, I recommend adding it prior to cooking.

If the oatmeal isn't filling enough, serve it with an egg, or a slice of ham. I love to keep sliced ham (leftover from the whole ham we've had for dinner) in the freezer. It's easy to fry up, or microwave, and gives filling protein.

Muffins:
Hey, if you are really running behind, what could be better than grabbing a muffin on the way out the door? Make it the right muffin though. Those light and fluffy blueberry muffins don't have much in them but bleached flour and blueberries. Make some of your own muffins ahead of time, and freeze them individually. Or you can cook the batter in a loaf pan, and freeze the whole loaf, if your family will use it up.

Find a good recipe, and add to it. I mix whole wheat and white flour to get a light muffin that still has nutrition. I add fiber cereal to give them more bulk. Pumpkin from a can is a wonderful addition, and it can be purchased inexpensively during holiday sales, and after holiday clearance. Add any number of fruits to give your muffin variety and flavor. Last, muffins provide a great way to use the crushed cereal from the bottom of the bag. You can mix it in or throw it on top. All of these things makes for a heartier and tasty muffin.

Fruit:
When we have fresh fruit, we eat it with many of our breakfasts. The kids love bananas, and I can't keep them on the counter for more than 2 days. Apples, grapes, italian plums (like in the above photo) are all easy to add to your breakfast and give you some quick energy.

What are some of the breakfasts you serve your family?

7 comments:

Mike Golch said...

the missus and I usually just grb a bowl of cerial for breakfast.

Dianna said...

Those are great ideas! I try to do a protein and a grain and a fruit. We almost always have eggs, too, although sometimes I do yogurt. Then we add oatmeal, toast, cereal, or whatever. I'm not so good at the fruit but I'm getting better! Thanks for your suggestions.

Art said...

I love eggs too. Egg white is pure protein - zero fat - so I use them a lot!

Kelli said...

Such delicious and healthy breakfasts, TJ! We need to eat more eggs.
~Kelli

akawest said...

I can not skip breakfast.I know many people who do. I wake up hungry. How does one go all night without needing fuel in the morning?

I eat a rice cake and peanut butter, almost daily. I believe we are keeping Smucker's in business with the amount of their peanut butter we buy. My daughter has cereal. Hubby makes oatmeal at his desk in his office. He mixes raisins and cinnamon, which he takes in a bag, to add to plain, instant oatmeal.

j said...

Hanging my head in shame because we are not good breakfast eaters around here.

But WOW! You are awesome!

Casii said...

Um, and when are you coming over to organize my sleepy self for breakfast duty?
We are a yogurt and cereal family except for the weekends when we occasionally break out the waffle iron or do omelets.