Monday, June 16, 2008

Frugal Food: Tuna Salad Mix-ins

It's the second week of the frugal food series at Frugal Upstate. This week it is tuna, so head over to see all the great recipes.

I'll admit that we aren't huge tuna eaters, but we do enjoy tuna salad sandwiches. One thing I have learned, if you don't have much in with the tuna, it doesn't go very far. So have some fun! Take a look in your fridge and see what you can throw in. Here are a few of my favorite combinations start with tuna and mayo:
  1. Mustard, celery, dill pickle, lemon pepper, dill
  2. Mustard, dill pickle, pickled jalapeno
  3. Sweet zucchini relish, red onion, celery

I look forward to seeing all of your tuna recipes! Also I would love some assistance. We are planning another camping trip, and I'd like to mix it up with some new frugal camping recipes. Please if you have some great recipes perfect for the outdoors, leave them in my comments.

6 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Thanks so much for linking to this for the "Frugal Food Series: Tuna".

My girlfriend loves to make those omelets in a ziplock baggie when camping (google it-you'll find it!) and she also made tacos in a bag-you just crunched up nacho chips in a bag, everyone added their taco stuff (which can be cut up and put in zipper baggies before you leave) and ate it with a spoon. fun and easy cleanup. As for us, we camp in a camper and have fridge, microwave, freezer and stove. I like to do brats in the crockpot covered in beer with onions and peppers. Just let it cook all day.

Have fun

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Oh, well if you have a camper! Try some chicken "dump" recipes, where you dump chicken in a ziplock baggie with marinade then toss in the freezer. Then you can defrost them (give it 2 days to be safe) and it marinates as it defrosts. Another thing we like to make when there is room in the fridge is breakfast casserole-the kind you put together the night before and then just toss in the oven.

Another fun one is pizza on the grill. You can use frozen bread dough for it. Just make sure you oil the grill a bit and make the pizza small-like the size of a dinner plate. Otherwise they are hard to get off.

Anonymous said...

Once, I was at a supermarket, and there was a coupon for a free bag of coleslaw mix when you buy some other item that I was buying anyway. So, I dumped my free bag into a bowl with one drained can of tuna and mixed it with miracle whip. It was really good!

Dianna said...

I like grapes or chopped apples in mine.

Anonymous said...

I like apples and celery too. And I use plain nonfat yogurt to replace some (not quite all) of the mayo to make it healthier. You can also use canned salmon instead of the tuna. If you puree it with the bones, you get extra calcium.

Anonymous said...

I add hard boiled eggs,chopped,to my tuna & have added some cold cooked brown rice or cooked barley. I use whatever dressing I have. People moving gave me Ranch dressing & Ranch with hot peppers so using that & always some mustard. Me in Mexico..you know..the old one.