Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2 types of people that bug me!

I've ended up a little irritated with some people today. I don't know who they are specifically, but their type. I'll start with the first.

While driving back from a meeting at the Yakama Nation, my co-worker had Rush Limbaugh playing in his truck. I listened to a woman go on about how she went to college, but she stayed home with her kids and the only time she's ever worked was when her children were in school. Well good for her! Really. I have friends who have chosen to stay home, I know many that choose to homeschool, and know some who choose to work part-time. I'm happy for all of them. It's a choice all mom's have to make, but the tone of this woman. When you expect the world to pat you on the back and give you a medal because of your decision?! Give me a break. I bust my rear end every single day to work and keep up with the house and the kids. That's my choice, and I don't expect anyone to say "Good Job" or "Wow aren't you fantastic." No it's the decision that I made. I love what I do. I work in an organization that annually raises over 2 million dollars and reinvests that money in the community. My work helps feed the hungry, provide programs for kids, and emergency shelter for the homeless. I don't want to hear that somehow I'm letting my community or my family down by not staying home. We all choose what's right for us, and we should respect other mother's choices. My kids are happy, and most of the time healthy, and well adjusted. They go see Grammy and Papa while I work and all of us are happy with the arrangement (to the best of my knowledge anyway). Kaia doesn't know what it's like to be apart from her Grammy and Papa for more than 5 days. She misses them when gone, and she looks forward to the 2 days a week of preschool, so I know that my children will be just fine while I go to work and help others.

After listening to that woman, and becoming irritated I went back to the office and was busy working. I was double checking a few names in our database. Our campaign chair believed the people deceased, so I wanted to verify on the local paper's website. That's when I saw the report regarding 7 new fires last night. That's in addition to the 3 over the weekend. I cannot count the number that have occurred since late spring. Only 1 of the 7 was a natural cause. The rest are suspected arson. Even worse, I saw the address for one of the arson fires. It was in the same block as a friend's house, and a barn and 1940 Ford Sedan were destroyed. I knew then that it was our friend's house and his dad's car. There are some sick people out there that gain joy from destroying what other's have worked so hard to build. Even worse is that it has reached a point here locally that we think, oh another arson, just in the way many of us have said, there was another shooting last night. When have these things become commonplace? Yet they have. The blessing is that of the two barns that could have been set fire to, it was the smaller one. It was the one that didn't store 3 restored vehicles and many tools. But how long is that one safe?

No comments: