Friday, November 2, 2007

Hiatus

You may have noticed that there haven't been any postings to the blog for over 2 weeks. Some of that was just plain busyness, but then another event happened in our lives. Where to start?

Wednesday, October 24 We took Sampson in to get neutered, or as I so crudely put it "get his balls cut off." Kaia heard this and repeated it to grammy, grandpa, and dad.

Thursday, October 25 We picked Sampson up and brought him home. I had a meeting that evening, and afterward we went to Tammy and Jeff's to borrow a chainsaw for our camping trip. I missed the Mom's Devotional due to all of these events.

Friday, October 26 Both Dana and I have the day off. Mo had a 9 a.m. well-child check scheduled, but I found Sampson with no stitches and an open incision (EWWW) and reschedule Mo's appointment while rushing Sampson to the vet which opens at 9 a.m. They take him and say to pick up on Saturday, except that isn't possible with us going camping. I was so thankful when they said that they could board him until Monday for only $8 a day. Mo and Kaia both have colds, and Mo has a deep cough. We pack up and head for the hills. We got our spot. Same one as last trip that we like so well. Mo definitely didn't feel good and wanted plenty of love and attention.

Friday-Saturday middle of the night Mo begins to run a fever and starts crying. He can't be calmed and sleeps restlessly all night. He refuses ibuprofen and doesn't want to cuddle.

Saturday, October 27 Mo sounds way worse. We get up, eat breakfast, and start packing up. This is no small feat since Mo doesn't want to be put down for an instant. His breathing becomes more labored. He did finally drink some water and take some ibuprofen. I also gave him some pseudoephedrine to try and help. We get home, unhook the trailer and my mom calls, or I call her can't remember which. She hears him and says he needs to be seen. She suggested the ER. I don't want to be one of those parents that rushes their child to ER when it's unnecessary. Plus ER is a $75 co-pay, where the medi-center is just $25. So I take him to the medi-center. Medi-center sends me to ER. Dana is dropping off the bike at the bike shop, so I call to tell him where the kids and I are headed. I also call mom who says she will come to ER as soon as she takes Neeko to the birthday party she has. In ER we are seen immediately by the triage nurse, and just as quickly sent back to a room. In the room Mo is given albuterol, oxygen and has an IV inserted. Kaia is very well behaved and watches tv. She also rides down to xray on the bed with Mo and I. They tell me that Mo will be admitted, and I call Dana to let him know. Mom comes just after 3 and she and Kaia go buy sandwiches and something to drink. They come back up to ER about the time Dana arrives. Kaia and I eat sandwiches while Mo continues to recieve albuterol and oxygen. They take us up to Pediatrics. Gordy and June come up shortly after. I take a quick break to run home and get a change of clothes (Mo puked on me after one of the albuterol treatments, and I smelled like a campfire). Kristin comes up to visit and the room stays busy with all of us. Mo still could hardly breath. His entire chest caved in with each breath. Dana and Kaia went home to sleep. My mom, Kristin and Gordy left also. June (God bless her) spent the night with me. Mo slept very little and we spent the night passing him back and forth. He was receiving breathing treatments every hour.

Sunday, October 28 Mo isn't improving. Xrays show just a small spot of pneumonia, but there is no answer as to why he is so ill. Mom stops by early to see the little guy and this becomes her daily morning routine. Kaia goes with my mom to church. Dana comes back up to the hospital as does Gordy. June goes home to take a break. Dana and I learn that Mo is going to be transferred to ICU. This is when Dr. Harthcock tells us that if Mo gets any worse, we will be flown to Children's Hospital in Seattle. Kevin (This is where I lost the post. It's was due to length I believe I will try to recap the stay)

Kevin the preacher at church came by to visit us, just in time to go to our new room in ICU. In ICU we received excellent care! Jeff, Tam and the kids came by, but Mo was not going to leave my lap. Mom came by with Kaia before Nina's birthday party and after. June and Gordie stopped by for a visit. Nana and Walt also came that evening. It was that evening we received the first good news. Mo's bloodwork finally was showing improvement. That night I stayed by myself with Mo. These rooms aren't set up for family, so there wasn't a place for anyone else. CJ, Mo's night nurse, would come in and give me a break. Mo actually warmed up to him too.

Monday we were back on Pediatrics. My cousin Kristin came and had lunch with us. My brother in law and sister in law cleaned our house. June spent the night and helped me with Mo again. Mo had taken out his oxygen, and we were allowed to leave it off of him during the day. He had to have it back in at night. He also got his first meal at the hospital that evening.

Tuesday Mo had his oxygen off again, and that meant one less wire to deal with. He was feeling well and playing too. Played so hard he pulled his IV in two. Kaia and Dana both spent the night. Gerry an elder at church came by to visit as did Mo's nurse from ICU CJ. Mo signed thank you to him.

Wednesday was Halloween. Mo got to have his IV bag removed which meant freedom except when he needed antibiotics and steroid. So he enjoyed going to the playroom and going to the book room. Mo got to see Tam again when she brought him and Kaia treat bags. Both kids napped in my lap that evening, which was good as Mo was receiving his antibiotics. I took Kaia trick or treating that night. We went the entire loop and she had a blast. Mo and I spent the night by ourselves.

Thursday Mo was given the ok to go home! The nurse ordered a nebulizer for him and I went to pick up all the prescriptions. I also had to buy a new cone for Sampson as he'd ripped the first one.

Unfortunately I got Snowball out on Friday only to find a swollen abdomen. Regular vet was on vacation, secondary small animal vet booked til Tuesday. I managed an 8:30 appointment with a vet that mom and dad use for their ferrets, but I wasn't hopeful.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Wow, what a scary, stressful time. It sounds like everybody pulled through like heroes, esp. your little boy. I hope you don't get any more scares. Did they ever say what caused this?

Sorry to hear about your hedgehog. I hope she can get some good care despite your main vets being gone.

TJ said...

There is still no clear reason for what happened to Mo. The best they've come up with is that something triggered an asthma attack on top of the pneumonia. Mo's follow up is Friday so maybe his regular dr will have some more answers.