Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Adventures on the drive


The daily drive to and from Grammy and Papa's takes very little awareness on my part. I've done it every day for the last 4 years. The last few days with I-5 being closed, it has taken a lot more patience and some slick maneuvering to be in the lane I want, without having to drive 55 (instead of 70+).

For the kids though, the ride is always an adventure. There is a house on State Route 821 that we pass with sheep, goats and a horse or two out front. So every morning as we pass the car becomes filled with Baa Baas. Mo is really quite good at this, and from an early age his baas earned him the nickname "little lamb." During the spring and summer we can see the peacock and his hens as we leave Grammy and Papa's although now that it's winter, I'm the only one that gets to see him strutting his stuff on the shoulder of the freeway.

In town there is plenty of excitement too this time of year. Every house Kaia sees is a gingerbread house. The lighted ones are decorated gingerbread houses. We always slow down as we drive past the house with the leg lamp in the window. I have noted this year (as they have done in the past) that they decorate their tree to look as much like the tree in The Christmas Story as possible. They use the great big bulbs and hanging tinsel.

I'm thankful that the kids remind me that every day can be an adventure.

No comments: