Friday, December 28, 2007

Cookbooks



It's time for Kelli's Show & Tell Friday. Today I want to share about my love for old cookbooks. The photos have all been used in other posts, but I haven't told you much about them.







Both of these are Good Housekeeping Cookbooks published in the early 60's. The big turquoise binder has 17 small cookbooks in it. They each have different topics. Appetizers, vegetables, desserts... My favorites are "Hamburgers and Hot Dogs," it truly is a whole booklet devoted to those two foods. I had expected to find several casserole recipes, but there really isn't many. The recipes are for different burger mixtures, different ways to cook, different ways to serve. I enjoy reading it, and looking at the illustrations. The 10 p.m. booklet is another interesting one. The recipes are all "entertaining" meals. Apparently I'm too young to understand the 10 p.m. reference.



I love the other Good Housekeeping Cookbook because it is a no nonsense basic recipes book. I have 2 other of basic books, but one is from 1910 and the other 1930's so they often have references I don't understand. This one has provided many great recipes for pancakes (my banana pancakes started with their basic recipe) and cookies, along with some casserole ideas. There is also a beginners section that was written to teach young ladies how to cook. That will be fun as Kaia gets older.

My Fondue cards come from a box of Betty Crocker recipe cards. As I said in a prior post, I love these cards! I think they were printed in 1972. There are many sections, but I realize I've never counted to find out how many. The sections include Fondue, Budget Casseroles, Gala Menus, Outdoor Cooking, Recipes Children Can Make, American Favorites, Seasonal Favorites... If I keep this up I may just list all of them. Each card has a photo, and I LOVE photo cookbooks.

That is all I have time for now, but I will try to update later. Ok some updates done, will have to just leave it for what it is.

14 comments:

ellen b. said...

What fun books. It really is a hoot to read these older cookbooks and see the trends. The 70's were big for fondue. I remember going to several fondue parties....

Anonymous said...

wow, these books are beautiful! what a great treasure! I have lots of cookbooks too, even though internet is becoming a quick source for recipes recently, but there's nothing like the good old paper copy with pictures :-)
Visiting first time from Kelli's!

Hootin Anni said...

These are something to hold onto. They're priceless in today's terms.

Mine's shared, won't you stop by?

Kathy b said...

Yipes! I have the book on the right. No, it can't be that old. I still reference it for basic information.
I checked ...."published in 1963"

I remember how it looked when it was new and had it's paper jacket.

Thanks for sharing. Now I feel really old.

Jessica said...

Your cookbooks are a real treasure. My mother in law gave me one this year for Christmas that is a first edition in 1930. I know what you mean by references to unknown items! I ran across a few of them too. Thanks for sharing your books.

Anonymous said...

I love basic no-nonsense ones, especially when I was beginning. The section about teaching how to cook would be a great present for a bride.

nancy said...

Those are great! I'd love to look through them. Yeah, good old fondue. It used to be cheese. Now, if you say fondue, people think chocolate right away.
Nancy

Susan said...

Old cook books are so fun. Yours are nice.
Susan

Tom said...

Great collection. Must make for interesting reading. Happy New Year.

Dianna said...

Love them! I adore old cookbooks.

Amanda said...

Wow, that's really neat! I love collecting recipes. :)

Anita said...

Old things are the best, aren't they! Your cookbooks for the 60ies remind me that I should ask my mum if I could get her old books. I am sure she does not use them any more....

Happy New Year from Germany!

Anita

Martha said...

WOW you made my day. I love old cookbooks and have a couple of really old ones too.

What a wonderful collection.

Blessings,
~Martie

Kelli said...

I love looking at old cookbooks, you have a wonderful collection!!

Kelli