Friday, January 11, 2008

1943 Original Skipper's Menu- Show and Tell




It's Show and Tell time again, over at Kelli's blog. This week I decided to share my menu.
I apologize these aren't pretty pictures, but it seems to show off better when I scan things like this.
This menu is from the original Skipper's resaurant in Seattle. The inside dates it to 1943.





Notice the stapled in addition to the menu

I became the owner of this while I worked at Camp Fire USA. We used to get many donations of Camp Fire Girl stuff. Often times it would be a big huge box, that had everything from Camp Fire workbooks, beads and gowns to old newspapers, old craft supplies, and once a 1943 Skipper's menu. It was slated to be tossed with the "junk" that had been included in the box. I quickly grabbed it and have kept it with my Western Family Magazines ever since. I love to look at the prices, the food names, and the information that was included. I'm not a seafood girl, but I love this find!




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you saved it! It's a unique bit of history.

I see your SparkPeople recipe -- I've been using their web site for a while now. I am BarbaraH06 there.

~~Deby said...

This is a keeper...we LOVE Skippers here..especially their clam chowder...yummmm.
Deby

Anonymous said...

I would hang on to something like this too. I LOVE seafood. What a great 'show and tell' item. It's interesting how we all have something neat to share. Great post.

nannykim said...

Funny and interesting. What is even funnier to me is that my youngest son's name is Skipper and my oldest son lives in the town right next to Seattle! Very interesting find!

Susan said...

Not familiar with this restaurant but what a neat old menu. I remember when my dad use to take me out to eat at a little cafe and the "plate lunch" was $1.00!!!! Long time ago!!!!
Susan

Cheryl said...

Old papers are called "ephemera" So you can now call yourself an "ephemera collector" lol

Tom said...

What a great keeper. No Skippers on the East Coast I guess.

Anonymous said...

Those are 1943 prices too. Funny but I have a hankering for fish for dinner.
Kathy b

Kelli said...

What a neat find, TJ! I would love to sit and read through it too!
Hugs,
Kelli

Dalyn said...

That is so cool! I love Skippers anyway, and old things. I live in Washington...and I worked at a Skippers when I was a teen. Very fun. Cleaning up offthe carpet the red jello they give to all the children with their meals! ugh.

Mommy said...

That is very neat! I squinted a bit, and I could see the price of a main entree. Wow! I wish prices were still like that! :)

Julieann said...

Oh How fun---Look at those prices!

Julieann

Anonymous said...

A great find, and a really fun show and tell. I love it.
Cookie

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh, I just found your blog! My maiden name is Kihn! It's such a rare name, I never see anyone else with it!