Thursday, January 24, 2008

Winter Cheer


I happen to find this time of year less than cheerful. Frigid temperatures, short days, and skies that are often gray make the wait between New Year's and Spring very long.

To top it off, I am sick once again. I'm not sure how much sick time I have used this winter, but I know that it has been plenty. So to add a little cheer to life, I put my vase of real-looking artificial flowers out in our front room. Callie seems to enjoy the color they add. To tell you how real they do look, I will give you a story. This story will also start off my 7 random facts about me. Jennifer tagged me a couple of days ago, and I'm just now getting on to play.

  1. After my surgery in February 2007, my co-worker/friend brought me this arrangement and a card from the office. Due to my Valentine's Day timing, there were no real flowers and delivery drivers to be had. Let me say now in my defense that I was on drugs for the pain. When my friend left I saw how little water was in the vase, and quickly filled it up before going to lay back down. It was a few hours later when I realized my mistake and dumped the water out!
  2. I used to get panic attacks whenever I was in a crowded space like a restaurant or theatre. Once I realized how crowded it was, I was sure I would need to throw up and wouldn't be able to get to a bathroom in time. This fear would then cause me to feel sick.
  3. On that note I have a huge fear of throwing up in public. I think it is because when I was young (4 maybe?) I threw up in church. Right there in the pew. My grandma had a fit, and was so upset that I hadn't told her so she could take me to the bathroom.
  4. I cannot stand repetitive noise or movement. Just ask Dana how crazy I get at the sound of his thumb rubbing his jeans. He doesn't understand how I can hear it, I don't understand how it doesn't bug him. This also applies to a reminder or machine that beeps at an interval, or someone jiggling their leg. I'd gladly have fingernails on a chalkboard than any of the above.
  5. I never wanted to become a nurse. (disclaimer: I could have said it when I was really young, but I have no memory of it) Both of my parents are nurses, the whole blood and guts thing doesn't bother me, but that is one of the last jobs I would ever consider. Slaughtering animals and meat cutter would be the last. Maybe it's the responsibility for someone's life that bothers me?
  6. Ok my family and close friends know this, but not the other readers. I was a vegetarian from the time I was 16 until almost 23 years old. Strict vegetarian, at that. No gelatin, no fish. Getting married and trying to cook 2 meals on a budget wasn't working. So then I just ate what wasn't meat of Dana's meals. I quickly learned it's hard to survive on potatos and frozen veggies alone. I didn't feel very good, and decided to try meat again. First thing I ate? A chicken philly from work. It was pretty good too.
  7. I have a green thumb, but the ugliest garden in the neighborhood! Hopefully this year the more veggies I plant the fewer weeds that will take over.

I hope these very random and useless facts were entertaining for you and hopefully brought you some cheer this winter day.


4 comments:

Art said...

Thanks for the visit, TJ. Intersting stuff. I was a vegetarian for a while too. I lasted about a year. I think it's an admirable thing but as you pointed out, it is difficult to do in the real world. Get well soon!

j said...

My almost twelve year old daughter is a vegetarian and has been for about 4 or 5 years. I blame an Arby's roast beef sandwich and her grandmother for her fall from the meat world. But she is healthy (hasn't been to the dr. since September of '06 and that was a check up!) and gets protein from beans, cheese, and peanut butter. I liked your random things and I appreciate that you played along. Your story of watering the fake flowers really cracked me up! - Jennifer

j said...

Oh! And I really want to hug Callie - she looks so soft. Is she pro-human or anti-human? Our kitty loves only my hubby - not pro-human. - Jennifer

TJ said...

Callie is right in the middle. She adores Dana, and tolerates the kids and I. We pick her up and love on her because she is so soft. She's not very impressed by it, but doesn't scratch or bite us for doing it.