Thursday, January 17, 2008

Show and Tell Kitty Cats

It's another Friday and today I want to share how the Kihn's stay warm at night. It's called take a cat to bed (or two). I'll show our cats in order of joining our family. Here is Hemi. Dana picked him up and we called him our first anniversary present.



He is generally a pain and the most expensive cat we own. Not because Dana paid a lot for him, but a blocked urinary track set us back over $400 when he was about 4 years old. We also had to pay for de-worming him and to get him fixed. Plus when we picked up cat number 2, we had to give him a flea treatment. I realize that I said nothing good about Hemi earlier. He loves helping us when typing on the computer by rubbing in our faces. Also in the summer he catches the flies that get into the house.




Boomer was the scrawniest little cat at the Humane Society. I really wanted a female, but Boomie quickly won Dana over with how lovey he was. So we paid our adoption fee, and the next day picked him up from the spay and neuter clinic. Our vet came to visit (he's a mobile vet) and gave us meds for earmites & fleas. Within 2 days we had a snotty, sneezing, disgusting kitten. So our vet dropped off some amoxicillin. Who would have guessed the tiny 6 month old adoptee would become our huge 20 + pound cat. ( I tried hard to find something to reference his size. Hopefully you can tell somewhat by the cube of diet Pepsi) Hemi was none too happy when we first brought Boomie home. A year of being the only cat had made him anti-social. It didn't take more than a few weeks though, and they are friends. Except when Boomer decides to beat Hemi up, then it's pretty funny.



Next came Cinnamon Love. She is a pure-bred Burmese. She was even papered and had 1 litter. According to the cattery she was a show winner. For me she was just another beautiful burmese to love. My former burmese Mai Tai had no fear of vehicles, and she met her end when she ran under my parents car as they were leaving one day. My parents had chosen Mai Tai after our 16 year old cat Muffy died, because they had had a burmese named Princess when they were first married.



Dana surprised me by getting Minners as my Christmas present in 2002, when I was pregnant with Kaia. She is older than both of the boys, and she introduced them to Iams food. She co-exists with the other cats, but that's all. A true burmese, she prefers people, warm beds, & sleeping on the heater vent. She has always loved the kids, I would often find her cuddled up with newborn Kaia. I never worried though as Minners was always so concerned every time she cried, and the fact that Kaia weighed more at birth than Minners did.



Last cat is Callie, who may be the oldest (we'll never know) but definitely has the most interesting story.



Callie lays on the counter each morning while Dana takes a shower. She loves Dana and follows him all over the house. At night she sleeps at our feet.


She has good reason to love Dana. He saved her life. She was injured and crawled into the shop of someone we knew. She couldn't put weight on one back leg, and limped behind some machinery. He was afraid of her and had planned to hit her with a sledge hammer, if no one could come get her. Dana picked her up and brought her home. It was summer of 2003 and Kaia was a tiny baby. I locked Callie in the laundry room until I could give her a good bath. She was absolutely coated in grease and oil from the shop and surrounding area. The bath water was black when I was finished and she looked like the most pathetic drowned rat. Callie began to quickly gain weight, and soon the leg was well without any vet attention. The best part was that while bathing her I felt a scar on her abdomen and was 99% sure it was from being spayed. She never went into heat so we knew that at some time, someone had cared for her.



Now you have seen our 4 cats. We also have Rosie the Beta (according to Kaia Rosie can be a boys name too), 2 Cory Cats, and Sampson the dog. Hey it's a zoo around here.

19 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love all your cats. I think one of my very first show & tell posts was about one of my cats. Thanks for sharing.

Betty said...

I like your furry felines.....we have three....Ling Ling had a vet bill of $500.00 once.....my husband nearly fainted when presented with the bill...Betty

Cheryl said...

I have four cats as well:-) Aren't they wonderful... I laughed reading about the one sleeping on the heater vent~ precious!

Anonymous said...

Soooo sweet. We only have one cat. I have learned that it is very true..."dogs have owners and cats have staff".

Martha said...

You made me think of my childhood pet cat - "Snoopy". I have a lot of fond memories of him. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
~Martie

Susan said...

Quiet a variety!!!
Susan

Gattina said...

What an adorable cat family ! Nice to meet you because I have five too ! You can see them on my blog My Cats & funny stories.
If ever you want to write once a week on tuesdays about your cats then I am the right person. I have a group called Cats on Tuesday where people who don't have a special cat blog write about their cats. It's always very funny and our group very nice.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's a lot of cats. We have one. We tried to get her a companion, but discovered she doesn't have the personality for a companion, so she remains the only queen in teh house!

Hootin Anni said...

WONDERFUL cat family!!!!
I love cats [we have two ourselves]

CATS RULE!!!!

My show n tell is posted. I'd love to have you visit me today. :o)

ellen b. said...

I was happy to see Gattina saw this post because she's definately a cat lover. Enjoy your zoo!

Dalyn said...

I love cats..I just have to keep them in the barn. Hubby doesn't like them in the house. AND they always seem to pee in here. I think because the previous owners kept large dogs in the house. Ick.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

What beautiful kitties! I love their names - Cinnamon Love is just fantastic! :o) Have a wonderful weekend!

Baba said...

Hi TJ, I love your cats .. They are so pretty and cozy looking ...My daughter sleeps with three cats and a big dog in her bed at night.. I have my first show and tell posted...

Anonymous said...

What sweet friends! Sadly, one son is allergic to them so we can't have cats, though he would love to. I enjoyed their stories.

Lana G! said...

Cute kitties. Enjoy the zoo!

nannykim said...

BEautiful cats!! But (heh, heh,))))how do you live with all of them!! WOW.

Linda said...

What sweet kitty kats.... each with their own cute personality I'm thankful they are in your loving home. Linda

Kelli said...

Your kitties are beautiful and I loved hearing about them and all their different personalities!
Hugs,
Kelli

j said...

The Burmese makes me think of my childhood, growing up with four Siamese cats - Blossom, Albert, Beezus and Ramona. Blossom was all mine though and she would curl herself around my head at night like I was her kitten. We now have one Calico, Rumpleteaser, who only cares if I feed her. She loves only my husband who has never been a cat person...rrrrrr! But that is the glory of cats, they have a mind of their own. I enjoyed the Show and Tell and the memories that it brought to mind - Jennifer