Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Morning


It's a beautiful, white Sunday morning here in Yakima. Yesterday's snow doesn't look like much, but I will admit it's pretty. Just enough to cover some of the bare brown patches in the yard. The best part about the weather today is that it's only 7:30 a.m. and we are already at 23 degrees! That's almost a heatwave, considering all week long we have had temps of 4-11 degrees at this time. Even with the cold temps, Sampson has yet to use his doghouse. This extreme cold honestly doesn't seem to bother him at all.


Today is the chili cookoff at church. I was planning to make a big pot of chili to take. That was on Wednesday, before I got sick. I only worked a half day Thursday, and then took all day Friday off. I slept 12 hours on Friday night. It wasn't uninterrupted, but it was close. Especially since Dana got up with early bird Mo yesterday so I could continue sleeping. I still thought I might make chili, but didn't get any of the needed ingredients (mostly dried beans) at the store. So yesterday I realized I would need to make something. I also know that we have food in the house, but not a whole lot of easy travel dishes. I decided on a gelatin dessert. After looking at the flavors I had (2 boxes sugar free cherry, 1 box strawberry, 1 bag 7 oz of vanilla) it was easy to decide. So I boiled 4 cups of milk and mixed in the vanilla gelatin. I'm not sure if this is widely available. I get it at Fiesta Foods, and it's imported from Mexico. I love that it tastes like custard without the egg flavor. It is often served with whip and some fresh fruit.


This morning though, I realized that while fresh fruit would be nice in my salad, I don't have anything other than apple or banana and neither of those keep their color. So I just mixed it with some whip topping. It still tastes great, and I put it in my favorite turquoise bowl so that it would look good too.

1 comment:

j said...

I hope that you are feeling better TJ. I could dive right in to your quick fix dessert. Have a great week - Jennifer