Friday, January 4, 2008

Show and Tell: Western Family Magazines



It's Friday again, and that means it's Show and Tell over at Kelli's blog There's No Place Like Home.

Sticking to my love of retro, I'd like to share with you my collection of Western Family Magazines. Not my whole collection, as I didn't want to drag them all out of the box where they are nestled safely away from little hands. So I scanned a couple of them so you could see.

I started my collection when we moved my grandmother from her home to a retirement home. In a box of sewing things I found an August 1954 Western Family Magazine. I immediately fell in love with it. It was a year or two later when I found that I could buy these magazines on ebay. I would look for a lot and would bid at what would come out to $2 an issue after shipping. I now have quite the collection although I have never counted them. When I have ended up with duplicates, and used the extras as gifts. I love to read them. They have great advertisements.


Useful and frugal recipes. West Coast travel information. And fun short stories.




So if you ever want to get rid of some, you now know who to call! I don't buy many on ebay anymore. Seems like they have gone up in price, and I refuse to buy an issue for $3 and pay another $5 for shipping.

9 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh, wow! I. Love. These. So retro! I love the corn ad especially. And the cover with the girl . . .

ellen b. said...

What a fun collection. And the Rainier page you showed is great.

TJ said...

Dana and I have similar photos of us standing up against those huge snowbanks in Rainier. They made his old GMC dually look small.

Susan said...

Nice items.
Susan

linn98367 said...

I love old magazines like that.I could look at them all day long.God bless,Linn

nannykim said...

Cool--I would love to see more of the advertisements--love the salt one!

Martha said...

I like old magazines. When we purchased this old farm house there were several left here from the previous owners. I have saved them and enjoy pulling them out from time to time.

Blessings,
~Martie

Mommy said...

What a neat and unique thing to collect. I would love to read them myself. ;-)

Donna Gotlib said...

What a unique show and tell! I am looking forward to your next post.
-cookie