Monday, January 28, 2008

That explains alot!

Last night I made a discovery that explained much of the activity in our laundry room and outside by our deck. Sampson has been digging outside, which is nothing new, but he has been digging around the old dog house cover that we use as a shed and have boarded up. That was weird. I also noticed a few days ago that the outer pane of the window that looks into the shed was cracked. I figured Sampson cracked it trying to get to the cats.

I figured this because the cats (except for Cinnamon) have been sitting on the ledge looking into the shed quite a bit lately. For those that don't know our home is a tri-level, and the basement windows sit about 6 inches above the ground. The cats love this as it's almost like being outside. Generally the cats provide plenty of company while I'm doing laundry. Yesterday evening it was just Callie. I saw her looking out, and then saw her get very excited and start talking. I walked over, and moved the blinds back so I could look into the shed too. Even with one eye swollen nearly shut from the pinkeye I now have, I could clearly see the little gray mouse staring at both of us. It was far more shocked to see me, than I was to see it. It quickly darted back underneath the car parts.

Dana said that this explained why there was mouse poop on the cat carrier when he got it out for the stray cat the other day. I think that we have some very smart mice! If they move out of the shed, they will become dog food. Sampson has killed/eaten 2 gophers and at least 3 birds to date. Those are just the bodies I've found. He also has his eyes on the magpies, who happen to have their eyes on his food. The game is they try to get his food, and he tries to eat them. So far there have been no success stories for either side. If the mice moved into the house, they would become cat food. I'm sure Cinnamon would even be game to catching them, as long as they came up to her territory.

No pictures, yet. Maybe someday I'll be in the laundry room and happen to see the mouse again. And maybe I'll have a camera... Or I'll just let you all imagine what the mouse looked like, sitting on top of car parts in shock at the sight of me.

No comments: