Thursday, January 10, 2008

Close Calls


Last night was a crazy night. Kaia had two close calls. She had taken a nap at Grammy and Papa's so I had expected her to be wild when we arrived home, but was pleasantly surprised when she and Mo played in her room while I was fixing dinner. It wasn't quiet, so I didn't think there was any trouble.


I was busy at the stove when she came out holding my old jewelry box. She held it out to me and apologized for breaking it. I saw that the glass center was shattered and luckily all inside the box. I asked what had happened and she told me she stepped on it. I looked down to see her barefooted. I asked if she had been cut and she promised me that she was ok. She wouldn't let me near her foot, but the best I could see she didn't even have a scratch. There was definitely no bleeding. I told her that she had better thank God for watching out for her, because she was very lucky not to be heading to the emergency room where they would be giving her stitches. She didn't know what stitches were, but was very thankful to not be getting any once I explained them.


Once dinner was finished I served Mo in his highchair, Kaia at the bar, and then cleared a seat for Dana. The seat was full of Kaia's jackets that I'd asked her to put in her room. I walked into her room to toss them toward her clothes bins when I smelled something. I glanced around and quickly found the culprit. Kaia's wood and leather tambourine was on top of a naked lightbulb, and that bulb was turned on. I quickly snatched the hot tambourine off. It was smoking, the leather was blistered, and the wood inside had turned black. I am extremely afraid of house fires to the extent that I have been known to turn around and go back to the house when I was blocks away to make sure I had turned off and unplugged the coffeemaker. (Now I have one that auto shuts off). I took it into the kitchen to show Dana and Kaia. I explained to her what could have happened. That had I not gone in there she would have at least lost her room to fire, likely more of the house than that. Also that her fishy Rosie (who lives in the kitchen) could have been killed. She was almost in tears, because of course she didn't know it was a bad idea. I told her I knew she hadn't meant to do anything wrong, but in the future never ever put anything on the lamp.


That was our crazy evening! Big Dumb Dog had nothing to do with it. He was outside enjoying his rawhide bone. After dinner he received a bone and fat that I had trimmed off of the big chuck steak while preparing it for the freezer, and he was happy.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

What a crazy evening! I'm glad that Kaia's foot was ok and that you found the tambourine in time, how scary!
Hugs,
Kelli
P.s. I hope you all like the chicken recipe!